This is a drawing of the gallery by David Evans.
Chaucer on Bridge
in Uralla, on the Northern Tablelands of New South Wales, is
owned and operated by the Evans family. David and Helen
purchased the building in 2000 so that David would have a
place to display his art works, as well as as having a
studio to work in.
2013 and 2014 the gallery was operated by Fiona
McDonald, niece of David and Helen. Fiona expanded
the business to include hand made toys and gifts. She called
Granny Fi's Toy Cupboard. In 2015, Fiona has
moved to a shop at 120 Dangar Street in Armidale and Michael
has moved to Armidale and hopes to spend most weekends in
the gallery making pottery.
2016 Jenny, Helen's daughter has been developing the
manuscript room in which examples of David's wonderful
calligraphy and illuminated manuscripts can be seen. Some
are also for sale. Visitors can see David's hand printed book about the epic
poem, Beowulf, and hear a recording of David reading
part of the introduction and text. You can also hear The
Lord's Prayer in old English. Illuminated copies of the
Lord's Prayer are available for sale. Jenny has added some
hand made replica jewellery mainly from Viking, Saxon
and Early English times and this is also for sale.
Ceramics by Michael Evans,
son of David and Helen, are a feature of the gallery.
Michael, David and Helen.
David and Michael inside the gallery.
The building at 42
Bridge Street Uralla, has an interesting history. It was
built in 1886. It was originally a billiard hall and
confectionary shop. The family owning the business lived in
part of the building, which includes four upstairs rooms and
The date of this picture
is unknown but a
number of different business enterprises followed
the original ones, including those mentioned on the
postcard. The shop was also a barber's shop, a wine
shop, a boarding house, and perhaps it was briefly a
Patrons entered the billiard
room through a different entrance to the main shop,
and an impressive skylight provided light over two slate
billiard tables. The building is made from red
Uralla bricks and the main downstairs area has fine
pressed metal ceilings.
Here are two photos probably taken in
the early 1900's. The tree which hides the
upstairs balcony area, is no longer there.
More modern businesses were a
craft co-operative and a pine furniture shop. Twenty
first century safety requirements for a fire escape,
mean that the upstairs rooms cannot be used as part
of the commercial gallery.
On the Uralla heritage walk, the building is number